- How do I place a hold request?
- What if an item has already been borrowed by someone?
- Is there anything I can’t place on hold?
- What if I can’t pick up my hold?
- Can you mail an item to me?
Tisch, Lilly, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA) Libraries all offer services that allow you to request that items be put on hold for you at any of the Tufts libraries.
What is a hold request?
Placing a hold on an item means that you can request that books, scores, CDs, or DVDs be picked from the book stacks, if available, and held for you to pick up at the Information and Circulation Desk at your selected Tufts Library. Items from Tisch may also be requested for pick up at Hirsch Health Sciences Library, Ginn Library, or the Vet Library.
It generally takes about 24 hours for your hold to become available. Each library will keep your hold for different amounts of time before it gets returned to the book stacks. Please check with the library location you selected to confirm, or refer to the pickup notification you'll receive for that information.
How do I place a hold request?
Search for the item you would like to request in JumboSearch. When you have found it, click on the title to see the item’s details.
- If not yet signed in to your Tufts account: Scroll down to the yellow box that says “Sign in for all requesting options.” Log in using your Tufts username and password.
- After logging in, you will now be able to see “Request” listed as an option. Click on the “Request” link.
- Select the library from which you would like to pick up your item, and provide any other information as needed. Once you’re finished, click “Request”.
- Your hold request will now be sent to the library. Once the item is ready for you to collect from the Information and Circulation Desk of your selected pick-up library, you will receive an email notification.
What if an item has already been borrowed by someone?
You can place a request on an item that is currently checked out by another user, and you will be notified when it has been returned and is ready for you to pick up. However, this could take some time, so if you need the item as soon as possible, it is recommended that you request the item from another library using Interlibrary Loan.
Is there anything I can’t place on hold?
Yes. You are unable to place hold requests on course reserves books, equipment, and other special items. If you do not see the Request option when you are logged in to JumboSearch, it may be that the item is not able to be requested. Contact us if you have questions about specific items.
What if I can’t pick up my hold?
If you are unable to pick up your hold, contact the Information and Circulation Desk at your chosen pick-up library. They can arrange to prolong the hold period or cancel the hold on your behalf. Staff may also be able to mail your hold item(s) to you (see below).
For more information:
Call Tisch Library at 617-627-3347 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call Lilly Music Library at 617-627-3594 or email email@example.com.
Call the SMFA Library at 617-627-0080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can you mail an item to me?
Yes, if your home address is in the continental United States, you can request to have an item shipped directly to you. When requesting an item in JumboSearch, select the “Home Address” option from the “Pickup Location” dropdown menu. We’ll be in touch about mailing the item to you.