The Tisch Library Open Access Publishing Fund advances open access (OA) publishing at Tufts by providing financial support to authors in the School of Arts & Sciences and the School of Engineering who want to publish in OA journals but do not have other sources of funding to cover article processing charges (APCs). Guided by the library's Strategic Framework, we aim to increase access to research & scholarship created at Tufts and to direct library collection funds towards making scholarship openly available.
For the 2021-2022 academic year, we've made available up to $30,000 in total funds for a new pilot program with the goal of filling in gaps in the existing OA funding structures at Tufts to enable all members of the AS&E community to publish open access.
We will evaluate this expanded pilot program at the end of the 2022 fiscal year. If you have any feedback to share with us, please get in touch.
The Tisch Library fund is available to the Schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering:
- Undergraduate students
- Graduate students
- School of Engineering tenure-stream faculty members or full-time Professors of the Practice (A&S faculty members should apply for FRAC funding)
- Post-docs who are the article's corresponding author
- Non-tenure stream faculty members who are the article's corresponding author
- Staff members who are the article's corresponding author
- Post-docs, non-tenure stream faculty members, and staff who are not the corresponding author will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In order to equitably distribute the costs associated with OA publishing, in cases where the applicant is not the corresponding author, we ask that their co-authors seek other funding first (for example, open access funds available to authors from other institutions).
Articles must be published in journals that are 100% open access (i.e. "true" open access journals).
- Articles published in hybrid journals (where some articles are OA and some articles require a subscription) are not eligible for this fund
- If you're not sure, check the Directory of Open Access Journals or get in touch with us and we'll take a look.
In order to allow as many authors as possible to share in the benefit of open publications:
- Applicants are limited to one award per calendar year
- Authors with funding designated to cover publication costs such as author fees from grants, contracts, or other institutional funds (e.g., FRAC for faculty co-authors) are asked to use those funds first
- 100% of the open access author fee in fully OA journals up to $3000
- Reimbursement will cover only direct costs for open access publication (not the cost of reprints, color illustration fees, non-OA page charges, web hosting for self-archiving, etc.)
To apply, submit our application form. We will contact you by email, typically within 1-2 business days, to let you know the status of your application. Successful applicants will submit the APC invoice to us, and we will pay the journal directly.
Contact us with any questions about the Tisch OA award. We can also help you find an OA journal to publish in or evaluate an author's agreement.
For more information about choosing an open access journal to publish in or other ways to make your work openly available, visit our Scholarly Publishing guide.