This Audio Recording kit is equipped with a Zoom H5n and two microphones - a Stereo microphone for picking up quality foreground and background audio and a Hypercardiod mic for isolating specic sounds and reducing background noise. Windscreens help to reduce unwanted wind or air noise from the environment. All equipment is available for checkout from the front desk. To request items for a specic date, see instructions under “Checking out Equipment.” All patrons are required to have a signed Policy Agreement on record for the current academic year in order to use equipment.
- Charged Batteries
- SD card and SD card reader
- Audio Recorder with Stereo mic and windscreen
- Directional microphone with windscreen
- Mini tripod
- Soft carry case
*Summer 2022: Media equipment circulation will pause on August 12th and will resume circulation on September 6th. This will allow staff the opportunity to do inventory, add new items to kits and thoroughly clean equipment before the start of the Fall semester. For questions, reach out to email@example.com.
Regardless of how you choose to get equipment, you need to sign the Media Equipment Policy form once per academic year. Requests made by patrons without a signed Media Equipment Policy form are not guaranteed.
There are two ways Tufts ID holders can check out media equipment:
- At the front desk, no advance reservation required. You can stop by the front circulation desk located on the second level of the Tisch library and ask to check out a kit. The default loan period for media equipment is 7 days, no renewal. If no kits are available, Frontline Staff can help you to create a request for the next available time. Once the kit leaves the library, the borrower is responsible for all items listed on the contents tag.
- By making a request in Jumbosearch . You can make requests via Jumbosearch up to 2 weeks in advance. When making a request online, you decide when to pick up and return your equipment but reservation length cannot exceed 7 days. Kits will not be available until 10am the day of pickup. Once the kit leaves the library, the borrower is responsible for all items listed on the contents tag.
Loan period and renewals
Media equipment is available for a 7-day loan period with no renewals. If upon returning your kit, there is another kit available that you are interested in using, you are welcome to check it out. It is imperative we receive all media equipment on time so we can clean it and get it back into circulation for other folks in the community interested in using the kit. Failure to return the kit today will put a media equipment hold on your account and require that you meet with staff regarding our policies.
Cancel a Request
To cancel a request, please visit the Circulation Desk at Tisch, call at 617-627-3347 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Media Equipment in the subject. We strongly encourage patrons to cancel when no longer needing a reservation. This opens up the equipment to community members more quickly than letting the reservation expire without notifying Tisch library staff.
Equipment must be returned to a staff member at the Tisch Library Circulation Desk at the designated return time and patrons must be present for the entire check-in process. Equipment borrower assumes full responsibility for damage, loss or theft.
In order to check out media equipment from Tisch library, you must sign a policy form for the current academic year. Click here to access the policy form.
Our goal with the circulating media equipment service is to expand and enhance the technology patrons have access to for engaging in media production. We aim to meet the needs of a range of use cases, from recording an event to deep engagement in digital scholarship projects through focused workshops and courses.
Our policies in conjunction with staff training, support documents and workshops help to encourage proper usage and care for the equipment from patrons. This service is funded through a budget provided to the Tisch library. We have a very limited budget for the replacement of broken and stolen items. Loss, damage and theft of items in the equipment pool affects all patrons and compromises the sustainability of the service.
I. COVID-19 Safety Policies
III. Conditions of Use
IV. Damage, loss or theft
I. COVID-19 Safety Policies
Upon return, all media equipment will be cleaned with 99% alcohol. Please do not spray any media equipment with anti-bacterial spray as it can cause damage; microphones and lenses are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive moisture.
- A mask is required at all times when entering Tisch to pick-up and return equipment
- If working with others while using equipment, assign which piece of equipment each person will use, e.g. assign microphones when conducting an interview with multiple people.
- Remember to keep 6 feet between each person and to follow CDC guidelines.
- Equipment can be reserved for up to 7 days, 2 weeks in advance with no renewals at this time.
- All patrons must sign the Equipment Policy form every academic year in order to checkout equipment.
- The library staff will not hold borrowed equipment for patrons for any reason.
Pickup: If you are making a request in-person the equipment will be loaned from the Circulation Desk. All media equipment that is booked online in advance will be picked up using the lockers in the Scanner/Copier room unless otherwise specified. Arrangements can be made to pickup at the Circulation Desk, if required, by emailing email@example.com with the words Media Equipment in the subject. If you would like to request a specific locker, please add this into the comments field in the request form. On the date of your pickup you will receive an email once the equipment has been placed in the locker along with an access code. Equipment will not be available until after 10am on the first day of your request. Equipment not picked up within 7 days will automatically be returned and placed back into circulation. Inspect all equipment prior to leaving Tisch library for missing or damaged components. Once you leave the building you assume responsibility for returning all items in working order.
Cancellation: To cancel a reservation, please visit the Circulation Desk at Tisch, call at 617-627-3347 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Media Equipment in the subject. We strongly encourage patrons to cancel when no longer needing a reservation. This opens up the equipment to community members more quickly than letting the reservation expire without notifying Tisch library staff.
Return: Equipment must be returned to a staff member at the Tisch Library Circulation Desk at the designated return time. See Section IV Damage, loss and theft for details on items that are not returned on-time. Equipment borrower assumes full responsibility for damage, loss or theft.
III. Conditions of Use
If you are unclear about how to use a piece of equipment, please don't hesitate to reach out to email@example.com with the subject Media Equipment to schedule a time to review best practices.
- Handle the equipment carefully. Do not use equipment in the rain or place items in sand/dirt environments
- Never leave the equipment unattended!
- All equipment should be returned in the condition it was received.
- All equipment must be returned to a staff member at the Tisch Library Circulation Desk, not through the book drop.
- Patron who checked out the equipment must be present for the entire return process to allow staff the opportunity to bring attention to any missing components.
- Equipment borrower assumes full responsibility for damage, loss or theft.
- Tufts University is not responsible for any files left or lost on media equipment or damage of the user’s files during the loan period. Any files saved on media equipment is automatically removed when the equipment is returned and cannot be recovered.
IV. Damage, loss or theft
- If equipment is returned:
- Late: if any component of a kit or an entire kit is returned late you will automatically receive an email that the item has been marked as lost. The kit will be taken out of circulation and a staff member will reach out to you to discuss prompt return of the item. The kit will not be able to circulate until the item is returned which impacts other Tufts community members. If this is a reoccurring problem, a meeting will take place with a staff member to discuss appropriate actions.
- Damage: you are required to contact the Tisch Library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Media Equipment in the subject as soon as damage occurs. If any component of a kit is returned damaged a staff member will reach out to you to discuss appropriate actions. You will not be able to checkout any media equipment until a meeting has taken place with a staff member to discuss appropriate actions that may include mandatory training on equipment, placing a hold on your account for media equipment checkout, or revoking of media equipment privilege for the semester or academic year.
- Loss: all items not present at the time of return will be assumed lost. You will not be able to checkout any media equipment until a meeting has taken place with a staff member to discuss appropriate actions, including extending the hold on your account for media equipment checkout and revoking of media equipment privilege for the semester or academic year.
- Theft: you are required to contact the Tisch Library staff at email@example.com with the words Media Equipment as soon as theft occurs. You must file a report with TUPD and present to Tisch Library Staff and/or schedule a meeting with Tisch library staff.
Circulating Media Equipment is a service supported by two areas of Tisch library, Frontline Services and Digital Scholarship. To ensure your questions are addressed by thee appropriate department please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Media Equipment in the subject. You can also stop by the Digital Design Studio on the third floor. Staff offices are located in room 301 and Studio Assistants are available in room 303 to help as well!
For onsite support, you can stop by the Digital Design Studio on the third floor, room 303. Staff offices are located in room 301 and Studio Assistants are available in room 303. For self-guided learning check out our online tutorials. You can also contact us at email@example.com with additional questions or feedback.