Updated August 28, 2020
Tisch Library Reopening on September 3
Tisch Library will reopen on September 3. Entrance to the building is limited to Tufts Medford & SMFA on-campus students, faculty, and staff authorized to be on campus. There are important space and service modifications in place to help us protect health and safety
All people coming to the library will need to:
• Tap into the library building with their Tufts ID
• Wear masks in the library
• Reserve individual seats or group study rooms to study
• Make appointments for online consultations
• Ask most questions via chat and email reference
• Refrain from eating in the library
• Get course reserves online in Canvas.
• Arrange online for large-format printing and other Digital Design Studio services
Contactless pickup of materials will continue. Self-checkout stations and mobile checkout for books in the collection will be available soon.
Fall Library Hours
September 3-4, 9am-5pm; September 5-7 closed
First week of the semester
September 8-13, 7:45am-9:00pm
Fall semester hours
September 14–December 22
Building hours: Sunday-Saturday, 7:45am – 1:00am
Library services Sunday-Saturday, 7:45am-9:00pm
Update on Online Only Course Reserves
During the fall semester, Tisch, Lilly, and SMFA Libraries course reserves will be online only. Please use the Canvas Reading List Tool or email email@example.com to submit requests. We are piloting a service to scan limited amounts of required reading for your Canvas course site while the COVID-19 crisis limits access to print reserves. More info.
Scan & Deliver service has resumed
Scanning of book chapters and journal articles located at Tisch, Lilly and the SMFA Library is now available. More info.
Please continue hold on to any library materials in your possession. All due dates are being extended to December, and all fines and late fees generated during the COVID-19 pandemic will be waived. If you must return materials for any reason, please use the 24-hour book return near the entrance of Tisch Library.
The following resources and services are available:
Updated August 28, 2020
- Scanning of printed materials in Tisch, Lilly, and the SMFA Libraries (aka Scan & Deliver)
- Placing requests for books, DVDs and CDs held at Tisch Library for pick-up at the Tisch Library Main Desk. Requests can be placed via JumboSearch.
- Remote Research Support via chat, email, and zoom is available Monday-Friday, 9am-7pm
- Virtual Research Consultations with specific subject librarians and experts
- Electronic resources, such as journals and databases. More information about connecting from off campus.
- Ordering ebooks. Please contact your subject librarian or use the Recommend a Purchase Form. Our default will be to order the book as an e-book unless you indicate you'd prefer print in the notes field. Not all books are available for purchase by libraries in an electronic format (e.g. textbooks, popular fiction on Kindle), but we will do our best.
- Digital access to 45% of our print collection through Hathi Trust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Electronic Reading Lists are available through the Canvas Reading List tool.
- The Digital Design Studio has support for working with media remotely.
- Academic Resource Center support is available remotely.
- Data Lab support is available remotely.
- Digital Collections & Archives support is available remotely.
The following are not available:
- On-site browsing or borrowing, including print course reserves.
- Delivery of physical materials via interlibrary loan or inter-campus borrowing.
- Return of interlibrary loan materials to other libraries. Please ignore due dates for interlibrary loan materials and continue using them during the closure. Please return interlibrary loan materials when Tisch Library is open for business again.
- Contactless patio pick-up.
Circulation policy changes during the closure:
- Overdue fines/late fees will be suspended for all items, including interlibrary loan materials, calculators, and reserve materials.
- All due dates are extended through the end of the fall semester.
- There will be no recall of materials.
If you have questions, comments, or concerns about library services, please contact us.
For the latest updates and guidance from Tufts University, please visit coronavirus.tufts.edu.